We give a monthly "intro to law" talk at Bridge Refugee Services here in Chattanooga to brand spanking new arrivals. For about 40 minutes we go over the following topics:
- Local courts and what they hear;
- Where to get help and not being too embarrassed to ask;
- How to avoid scams;
- Very basic rules of the road, using car seats (as most can't drive yet but will);
- Dealing with the police;
- Domestic violence;
- Children: truancy, corporal punishment;
- Animals (taking care of pets, not butchering own meat, etc.);
- Religious freedom to one's way of dressing (head scarves);
- Understanding contracts (if you don't speak English well);
- Housing - dealing with landlords.
What else might someone need to know who is brand new to the US and its culture/legal system?